EAAP Annual Meeting 2021 – 2nd September 2021
SmartCow: an integrated infrastructure for increased research capability and innovation in the European cattle sector
Chairs: René Baumont (Project Coordinator – INRAE) and Gonzalo Cantalapiedra-Hijar (INRAE)
SmartCow organised a session within the 72nd EAAP Hybrid Annual Meeting held in Davos (Switzerland). The session n. 72 titled “Methods and technologies for research and smart nutrition management in cattle” has given an update of the project with: 9 theatre presentations, 21 posters and 1 invited keynote.
- “SmartCow: integrating research infrastructures to support innovation in European cattle breeding” – R. Baumont, M. O’Donovan, R. Dewhurst, P. Lund, B. Kuhla, R. Carelli, C. Reynolds, C. Martin and I. Veissier.
- “Using N more efficiently in cattle production systems – challenges and opportunities” – (invited) C. Reynolds, Z. Barker, L. Crompton, P. Lund, J. Dijkstra, R. Dewhurst, P. Nozière, G. Cantalapiedra-Hijar and R. Baumont.
- “Prediction of between-animal variation in N use efficiency in dairy cows from isotopic N signatures” – M. Correa-Luna, M. Johansen, P. Nozière, A.R. Bayat, L.A. Crompton, C.K. Reynolds, E. Froidmont, N. Edouard, P. Lund, C. Martin and G. Cantalapiedra-Hijar.
- “Digestibility and intake become repeatable traits in young bulls with at least 7 days of measurement” – R. Bellagi, R. Baumont, L. Salis, S. Alcouffe, G. Cantalapiedra-Hijar and P. Nozière.
- “Milk mid-infrared spectra to estimate rumen fermentation parameters” – A. Vanlierde, F. Dehareng, S. Herremans, K. Nichols, B. Khula, M. Eugène and C. Martin.
- “Methane emission, microbiome and immune function in dairy cattle” – P. Niu, U. Gimsa, P. Pope, B. Kuhla and A. Schwarm.
- “Detection of complex animal traits from data provided by activity sensors” – I. Veissier, M.M. Mialon, R. Lardy, B. Meunier, M. Bouchon, L. Munskgaard, M. Terre, A. Valldecabres, K. Van Reenen, I. Van Dixhoorn and R. De Mol.
- “Can a virtual cow model help precision feeding in dairy cattle?” – C. Gaillard and O. Martin.
- “Prediction of total feed intake of dairy cows using a portable near-infrared microspectrometer” – D. Perez-Marin, I. Torres, L. Munksgaard and F. Maroto-Molina.
- “Which methodology to study the effect of farming practices on cheese sensory properties?” – E. Manzocchi, I. Verdier-Metz, C. Delbès, C. Bord, M. Bouchon, J. Berard, M. Coppa and B. Martin.
- “Mapping of cattle infrastructures, equipment and sample banks within the SmartCow consortium” – M. O’Donovan, E. Kennedy, P. Ryan and P. Madrange.
- “Encouraging research complementarities through mapping of cattle research infrastructures in Europe”- P. Madrange, E. Kennedy, P. Ryan, C. Melis, R. Baumont and M. O’Donovan.
- “Towards common standards, guidelines for measurement and data management in cattle research” – B. Kuhla, S.D. Mesgaran, A. Aubin, C. Hurtaud and R. Baumont.
- “Transnational access to leading cattle research facilities within the EU SmartCow project” – R.J. Dewhurst, P. Lund and R. Baumont.
- “Titanium dioxide as digestibility marker – between and within cow variation in faecal concentrations” – G. Giagnoni, P. Lund, M.R. Weisbjerg and M. Johansen.
- “Influence of measurement method of methane on the performances of faecal NIRS models in cattle” – D. Andueza, F. Picard, Y. Rochette, J. Pourrat, A. Vanlierde, F. Dehareng, D. Morgavi and C. Martin.
- “Can we identify low CH4 emitter dairy cattle by their milk carbon isotopic signatures?” – G. Cantalapiedra-Hijar, M. Correa-Luna, C. Chantelauze, Y. Rochette, P. Pourazad, M. Bouchon and C. Martin.
- “Investigating components of cow breath with potential for rumen diagnostics” – R.J. Dewhurst.
- “Effects of diet protein concentration on digestion and N balance of dairy cows over 3 lactations” – L. Crompton, D. Humphries, A. Jones, A. Thomson, J. Moorby, D. Roberts, T. Misselbrook, A. Del Prado and C. Reynolds.
- “The effect of a molasses based liquid feed on fibre digestion, nitrogen utilisation and rumen pH” – G.M. Chapman, P. Holder, C.K. Reynolds and D.J. Humphries.
- “Impact of physically effective fibre on chewing, nitrogen balance, and performance of lactating cow” – R. Heering, N. Selje-Aßmann, R. Baumont and U. Dickhoefer.
- “Validation of eating duration assessment from automatic feeder systems” – E. Ternman, M. Terré, M. Bouchon, B. Meunier, L. Munksgaard and I. Veissier.
- “Definition of indicators of activity from data provided by wearable sensors in dairy cattle” – I.D.E. Van Dixhoorn, R.M. De Mol, J.T.N. Van Der Werf, C.G. Van Reenen, L. Munksgaard, M. Terre, I. Veissier, M.M. Mialon, B. Meunier and M. Bouchon.
- “Evaluation of strategies for summarizing acceleration data to monitor calving in rangeland systems” – A. Bugueiro Domingo, J. Navarro García, I. Gómez Maqueda, M. Gaborit, F. Launay, C.C. Pérez Marín, D.C. Pérez Marín and F. Maroto Molina.
- “Daily activity budget of beef cows under occasional feed restriction periods throughout lactation” – K. Orquera, M. Blanco, J. Ferrer and I. Casasús.
- “Evaluation of the ingestive behaviour of the dairy cow under two systems of rotation with slope” – E. Castro Muñoz, G.F. Da Silva Neto, A.L.H. Andriamandroso, L. Ron, C. Montufar, F. Lebeau and J. Bindelle.
- “Effects of phytogenic feed additives on performance and enteric methane emissions in dairy cattle” – P. Pourazad, C. Martin, M. Bouchon, Y. Rochette, T. Aumiller, T. Aubert and K. Wendler.
- “Chewing activity and rumen pH of cows adapting to a high grain diet with phytogenic supplementation” – R. Rivera-Chacon, S. Ricci, N. Reisinger, Q. Zebeli and E. Castillo-Lopez.
- “Effect of origin and quantity of starch on in vitro digestibility and acidogenicity of cow diets” – P. Micek, Z.M. Kowalski, T. Szufnara and T. Gajówka.
- “Long-term effect of feeding a potentiated ZnO source on milk profile and serum Zn in dairy cows” – M. Terré, D. Cardoso, D. Sabrià, N. Prat, E. Paran and A. Piñon.
- “Effect of type of silage and concentrate on eating behaviour and relation to enteric methane” – G. Giagnoni, M. Johansen, P. Lund and M.R. Weisbjerg.